To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Montreal: Wimbledon champion and world number one Novak Djokovic has withdrawn from next month’s US Open hardcourt tuneup event in Montreal, saying he needs more rest after capturing his 16th Grand Slam singles crown. The 32-year-old Serbian, who outlasted Roger Federer in an epic All-England Club final earlier this month, was joined by Argentina’s 12th-ranked Juan Martin Del Potro in pulling out of the ATP Masters Canada tournament. “I’m sorry to announce that I decided to pull out of Rogers Cup,” Djokovic said in a statement released by Tennis Canada. “With the support of my team, I have decided to give my body longer rest and recovery time before coming back again to play. “I love Canada and I have many friends there that always make me feel like I’m at home and I’m looking forward to coming back again to play in front of all of you in Montreal.”Also Read | ‘Crowd chants Roger, I hear Novak’ – Novak Djokovic after winning Wimbledon title for the fifth time Djokovic’s withdrawal means Spanish star Rafael Nadal, an 18-time Grand Slam singles champion, will be the top seed in Montreal when the main draw begins August 5. Nadal has captured the Canadian crown four times, most recently last year by defeating Stefanos Tsitsipas in the final.Also Read | Novak Djokovic saves two match points, beats Roger Federer in final to clinch fifth Wimbledon title Djokovic has won the Canadian event that alternates between Toronto and Montreal four times, twice in each city — Toronto in 2012 and 2016 and Montreal in 2007 and 2011. He was ousted last year in Toronto by Greek star Tsitsipas in the third round. “We would have loved for Djokovic to have the chance to be crowned champion for the third time in Montreal, but we understand his decision and we wish him a quick return for the rest of the season,” Montreal tournament director Eugene Lapierre said. Del Potro was injured last month at Queen’s and underwent right knee patella surgery and is undergoing rehabilitation for the setback. “In del Potro’s case, we wish him a speedy recovery, he who has experienced his share of injuries in the past few years,” Lapierre said. “We look forward to seeing him back on the court in the near future.” World number three Federer said after his Wimbledon final loss that he too intended to skip Montreal. Frenchman Richard Gasquet and Mikhail Kukushkin of Kazakhstan will take the two available spots in the Montreal main draw as a result of the withdrawals by Djokovic and Del Potro. Novak Djokovic won his 16th Grand Slam title.Djokovic defeated Roger Federer for his fifth Wimbledon title.Rafael Nadal is the top seed for the Rogers Cup. highlights For all the Latest Sports News News, Tennis News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
Facebook Twitter Google+ When Diamond Henderson found herself mired in a 5-for-32 shooting slump that spanned three games in the middle of December, she decided she needed to make conscious changes. After practices, she’d stay late and not leave until she made 100 3s. During games, she’d look to attack and get to the free-throw line as opposed to living around the perimeter.For much of the early season, she showed only inconsistent flashes of being the prized transfer guard that chose to spend her final year of eligibility at Syracuse. “For the first time in a long time I would have a crew with me and not out there doing a lot of work by myself,” Henderson said, “so I just knew that scoring is what I’d do best, so I just had to come out and do what I do best.”After a rocky start to the season, Henderson’s much-hyped scoring ability came to fruition in Syracuse’s 74-72 loss to Baylor on Dec. 19. The senior erupted for 27 points and helped keep the Orange afloat in a game that it trailed in early on. Since then, she’s scored 16, 14 and 15 points, respectively, in each of SU’s last three games, her longest double-digit scoring stretch of the season. AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIt’s a streak she’ll have a chance to continue when No. 21 Syracuse (10-3) opens up Atlantic Coast Conference play on Sunday against No. 4 Notre Dame (13-1) at 1 p.m. in the Carrier Dome. “She’s a natural scorer, and she’s finding a way to put points on the board,” SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said. “Obviously, when you have a player that can do that, you want to take advantage of that skill set.” Hillsman said before the season that he hoped Henderson would counter the scoring drop-off that would follow the injury to star guard Brittney Sykes. Now, even with Sykes back, Henderson’s finding ways to make herself a threat offensively.But when Syracuse played North Carolina Central on Dec. 14, the shooting stroke that Henderson has since proved capable of was nowhere to be found. Despite playing only 16 minutes, she shot 1-of-12 from the field, with her only make coming with 50 seconds left to play in the 45-point Syracuse win.Hillsman employs a strict shoot-if-you’re-open rule that applies to all of the Syracuse shooters, Henderson said. And while it may be a crutch on a bad shooting day, she admitted that shooting is the best way to get out of a slump. With her recent surge, she’s become second on the team with a 3-point percentage of 35.2. Her 12.2 points per game are good for 27th in the ACC. Just weeks ago she was averaging only 9.7.“I knew from the jump that she was a great scorer. And while watching her, I try to learn from her,” Sykes said. “She’s a fifth-year, she’s been in college longer than me playing college basketball. So to learn from a scorer like her and pick up some things, it was good for me.” Regardless of the ups and downs she’s had on the court this season, just having a fifth-year senior’s presence has been beneficial for a team that has only one other player on the roster in her final year of eligibility.And now, all the expectations that followed Henderson to Syracuse are starting to come together for her.“I think I’m playing alright,” Henderson said. “I don’t think I’ve played my best basketball yet, but overall, I think I’ve been playing alright. You can only build from here.” Comments Published on January 3, 2015 at 6:35 pm Contact Sam: [email protected] | @SamBlum3
Written By Danish Ansari 9 months ago Khabib Nurmagomedov calls Conor McGregor an “idiot”, calls for people to ignore him FOLLOW US COMMENT SUBSCRIBE TO US Also Read | Khabib Nurmagomedov Calls Conor McGregor An “idiot”, Calls For People To Ignore HimNate Diaz praised Conor McGregor ahead of his fight against Jorge MasvidalThis was evident as the Stockholm native had praised Conor McGregor prior to his brawl against Jorge Masvidal in November. Speaking of his former rival, Nate Diaz mentioned that the Conor McGregor understands the fight game. Something Nate realised when he fought the Irishman for the first time in the cage. Nate also added that the fight game is gradually transforming into a sport and when one sticks around, still winning in the game and getting hold of the mic, people cannot help but acknowledge and agree because the fighter just proved it on a stage. “It’s all the real truth of the game, and the truth shall set you free,” said Nate Diaz. Last Updated: 28th November, 2019 16:16 IST Nate Diaz Has A Major Compliment For Bitter UFC Rival Conor McGregor Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor have a newfound respect for each other. Check out Nate Diaz compliment his former rival Conor McGregor before his fight at UFC 244. WE RECOMMEND Also Read | UFC: Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson On His Advice To Jorge Masvidal After Nate Diaz FightConor McGregor had also opened up on his equation with Nate Diaz after their last encounter at UFC 242 where the Irishman stated he harbours no hatred for his opponent. Both Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz hold wins over the other. A trilogy match has been teased by the fighters on numerous occasions, though it never materialised. As for right now, Conor McGregor is rumoured to take on Donald Cerrone in his return fight early next year, while Diaz’s future in the sport remains uncertain. WATCH US LIVE LIVE TV 9 months ago UFC: Nate Diaz meets Conor McGregor’s doppleganger at an event Also Read | UFC: Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson Responds To Abusive Comments By Nate Diaz 9 months ago Watch Nate Diaz and Nick Diaz lead the most infamous BRAWL in MMA history 9 months ago UFC: Jorge Masvidal takes to Twitter, challenging Conor McGregor for a 2020 fight 9 months ago Conor McGregor teases UFC fans, could choose new weight-class for his return fight First Published: 28th November, 2019 16:16 IST Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz have been trading insults ever since the two first fought each other in March 2016. This only got worse as the two were headed for their second encounter the same year which went beyond expletives and involved throwing bottles at one another during a press conference in Las Vegas. Now, despite the venom Nate Diaz and Conor McGregor have been spitting at each other throughout their unforgettable rivalry, the two fighters seemingly have gone from being bitter rivals to respecting each other.Also Read | Watch Nate Diaz And Nick Diaz Lead The Most Infamous BRAWL In MMA History