OTTAWA – The federal government and the governments of Ontario and Quebec are readying relief supplies, including baby formula and cribs, for victims of hurricane Harvey.Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says the governments are working with the U.S. Federal Emergency Management Agency to co-ordinate the help.The storm left vast swaths of Texas and parts of Louisiana flooded and forced tens of thousands of people from their homes.“We reached out to offer whatever support is needed, from airlift capacity to helicopters to whatever is necessary,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a news conference Friday in Saskatoon.FEMA, he said, responded by providing Goodale a list of badly needed provisions, and Canada was more than happy to oblige.Goodale said the relief supplies include hygiene kits, bed pillows, bath towels, baby formula, baby disposable bottles, baby cribs and baby linens.The Royal Canadian Air Force is preparing a cargo plane to fly the goods to Texas and it is expected to leave soon.Trudeau and President Donald Trump spoke Thursday about the floods and relief efforts.“We are there for our friends suffering this terrible calamity of hurricane Harvey, and we will stand by them and offer them whatever support they need,” Trudeau said.“This is who Canadians are; we’re there for each other in times of difficulty.”The American embassy in Ottawa expressed gratitude for Canada’s offer of support.“The people of the United States and Canada have a long history of supporting each other in times of need,” Elizabeth Aubin, the charge d’affaires at the embassy, said in a statement.“We once again thank our Canadian friends and neighbours for their heartfelt offers of solidarity and assistance.”Goodale said Canada stands by the United States, saying the country’s thoughts and prayers are with those affected.“I want to commend local volunteers, first responders and residents who continue to work selflessly to keep their neighbours and communities safe,” he said in a statement.On Thursday, Trump’s homeland security adviser Tom Bossert said Canada’s “neighbourly gesture” of help was much appreciated, telling a White House briefing, “It’s an international expression of what we’re seeing here at a very local level.”
The Canadian PressSASKATOON — An inquest into the death of a 35-year-old woman at the Saskatoon Regional Psychiatric Centre has been postponed indefinitely.The examination of what happened to Kinew James was to have begun Monday, but after a massive collection of new documents was presented to inquest coroner Timothy Hawryluk, he adjourned the proceedings.He said it is unlikely the inquest will resume until the fall at the earliest and possibly not until early 2017.Kinew James died in 2013 after suffering an apparent heart attack in her cell.Inmates have alleged that James was denied timely medical assistance.The Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies had said earlier it hoped the inquest would lead to better care for Indigenous women with mental health issues who are serving time in prison.On Monday, association lawyer Gillian Gough and Josephine de Whyttel, a lawyer for James’ mother, argued the disclosure documents provided by the Corrections Service of Canada — which covered the year leading up to James’ death — weren’t enough.Gough presented a package made up largely of CSC documents the society obtained while fighting for James’ release in 2011. Containing some 8,000 files, some of the documents dated back as far as 1998.Gough said it was important to look at how various factors from James’ incarceration may have contributed to her death.For instance, Gough noted James was transferred between facilities some 30 times and argued this could have affected the continuity of her health care. Gough also said James had been in and out of the Saskatoon facility 13 times over the years.Hawryluk said he was disappointed at having proceedings derailed on the first day, but he wasn’t comfortable ruling on a request to expand the scope of the inquest until he’d had time to review the new documents.Cecil James, Kinew’s brother, said the family was glad there would be a pause to consider the new information.Cecil said he has had trouble accessing even the original disclosure that was provided.He and James’ family live in Winnipeg, and he had to go to Regina to look the disclosure over in the coroner’s office there. He said he made the trip last Wednesday and was troubled after even a quick examination of those documents, not to mention the thousands of new ones presented Monday.James was serving an aggregate sentence of 15 years for manslaughter, assault, uttering threats and other charges – many of which happened after she was first sent to jail.According to a Board of Investigation report, James, who was diabetic, activated the emergency call alarm in her cell and told corrections staff that she was feeling sick and lethargic the night she died.