LIVE RACING RESUMES AT SANTA ANITA ON FRIDAY WITH $2 MILLION GUARANTEED IN THE 20 CENT SINGLE TICKET RAINBOW PICK SIX JACKPOT WITH $419,616 IN ‘NEW’ MONEY WAGERED TODAY, LIVE MONEY POOL REACHES $1,558,942 RESULTING IN 98 CONSOLATION WINNERS, EACH WORTH $2,299ARCADIA, Calif. (Jan. 21, 2019)–Live racing will resume with a nine-race card on Friday at Santa Anita and fans will be greeted to another $2 million guaranteed Single Ticket Rainbow Pick Six Jackpot, which will begin with race four.With $419,616 in “new” money wagered today, the Rainbow Six live money pool swelled to $1,558,942. Although there were no single ticket winners, there were 98 consolation tickets with six winners, each worth $2,299.Fans are again advised that Santa Anita will guarantee a $2 million Single Ticket Rainbow Pick Six Jackpot each racing day until a mandatory payout (pending CHRB approval) on Saturday, Feb. 2.First post time on Friday is at 12:30 p.m. and approximate post time for Friday’s fourth race is at 2 p.m. PT. General and Club Admission, as well as General Parking, are free on Friday, with admission gates opening at 10:30 a.m.With no live racing on Thursday, Santa Anita will be open for simulcast wagering, with admission gates open at 10 a.m.For additional information, please visit santaanita.com or call (626) 574-RACE.
On Sunday, Stewart was dominant at Daytona, but a wreck with Kurt Busch cut his day short and he ended with a 39th-place finish. Stewart has never won at Fontana, one of four tracks at which a victory has eluded him, but he brings a reliable Chevrolet. Chassis No.120 won three of the last eight races in 2006, including successive wins at Atlanta and Texas. FONTANA – If history is any indication, this could well be Tony Stewart’s year to win his second Nextel Cup Series championship. In 2002, his title season, Stewart left Daytona with a last-place finish, yet managed to claim the crown after the 40th race. He became the youngest-ever Cup pole winner at 19 years, 9 months and 24 days, and the youngest Cup race winner at 20 years, 4 months and 2days. Both records were previously held by Donald Thomas and stood for more than 50 years. “I like the flatness of California,” Busch said. “I grew up on a relatively flat track at the Las Vegas Bullring, and I’ve done well at New Hampshire and Phoenix, so I guess it just suits my style of driving.” He’s back: Ron Hornaday Jr., a former Palmdale resident, drives a Chevy Silverado for Kevin Harvick in the Craftsman Truck Series and will race Friday night. He has competed 13 times at the Fontana track – seven in the Busch Series, four in the Trucks and once each in the Winston West and Cup. It’s a return to the area where he established his reputation. “Going to California is always good for me because of the fans; the race track is close to my hometown,” Hornaday said. Victory at Junction Camp: Applications are being accepted for summer camp at Victory Junction Camp, created in 2004 by Kyle and Pattie Petty in honor of their late son Adam. More than 4,500 campers ages 7-15 with chronic medical conditions or serious illnesses enjoyed what the Randleman, N.C., camp has offered. In addition to traditional activities – horseback riding, boating, fishing, arts and crafts – there are also other events such as a water park, theater, bowling alley, miniature golf and NASCAR related program areas. “This is a really busy time of year for Victory Junction,” said Mark Hendrickson, director of medical communications and development for victory Junction. “Our goal is to spread the word to insure we fill each of our 10 disease specific summer sessions to capacity. email@example.com (909) 386-3935 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “What you do at California is solely based on what you and your team can do with your race car, not what drafting line you’re in or how the car behind you is going to affect your next move,” Stewart said. “I enjoy going to California because I really feel that’s where our season starts. Don’t count Stewart among those who want to see the track reconfigured. “They need to let the race track be,” Stewart said. “You can change all the banking you want. It’s still a 2-mile track. The good thing is that the racing has become two- and three-wide and you can run on different spots on the race track. But that’s all you can hope for. “It is what it is there. If they wanted to do something, they should’ve been a little smarter and built a half-mile or three-quarter mile oval.” Drivin’ through: There are a couple of reasons Kyle Busch likes to compete at California Speedway. Never mind that Busch holds the track Cup qualifying record (188.435 mph, 2005) or that he scored his first victory at Fontana (Sony HD 500, 2005).
AGUA DULCE – A small brush fire Monday morning near Vasquez Rocks drew a full response from firefighters worried that wind, low humidity and high temperatures would whip it into a wildfire. The blaze broke out shortly before 9 a.m. and burned just two acres near the southbound Antelope Valley (14) Freeway between Escondido Canyon Road and Agua Dulce Canyon Road, Los Angeles County Fire Capt. Bill Minick said. Six engines and two helicopter crews doused the fire within an hour. Nobody was injured and no damage was reported, but traffic backed up on the northbound freeway where two lanes were closed to accommodate firefighting equipment. A Red Flag warning – meaning heightened fire danger – was issued Sunday by the National Weather Service and will continue through at least this evening. “It’s warm here, and windy and dry – not a good combo,” Minick said. Staffing is up at local fire stations because of the Red Flag warning, Minick said. In addition to water tenders and patrols, a five-engine strike team was assigned to the area because of the increased fire danger. “They stand by in case they’re needed,” he said. The temperatures hit 94 Monday in Santa Clarita and 87 in the Antelope Valley, with gusty winds out of the northeast. The North County region has received just a fraction of its normal seasonal rainfall – 5 inches in Santa Clarita compared with the season average of 18, and less than an inch in the Antelope Valley compared with the usual 4 or 5 inches, according to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works. The dry year has prompted worries that parched brush will become volatile fuel should flames break out. High winds add to the concern. firstname.lastname@example.org (661) 257-5251160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
It’s always nifty on a Honda 50 – or any other type of motorbike for that matter.The final total raised from the Killybegs Gaeltacht Honda 50 Coast Run recently, for the Lough Barra Fund, was a grand total of €3,350. Thanks to all who took part in the run, from as far away as Portstewart, Cliffony, Convoy, Annagry, Gortahork, Killygordon, Monaghan and a big thank you to the Doochary and Leitir men who turned up in force, and of course all the locals who took part too!The group gave Henry and staff at the Bay View Hotel a massive mention too for hosting us on the day. Thanks to the ladies who looked after the registration and sandwiches.Thanks went to DJ Tubsy for being the MC and also a big thank you to the marshals and the lads on the recovery lorry as well as the lead van.Watch – Getting nifty on a Honda 50 for a great cause was last modified: April 19th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalHonda 50KillybegsLough Barra Fund
1 The 25-year-old has enjoyed another productive campaign at the Camp Nou Neymar has been encouraged by his father to leave Barcelona for Manchester United, according to reports.The 25-year-old has enjoyed another productive campaign at the Camp Nou – scoring or assisting 24 goals – but remains in the shadow of both Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez.Spanish outlet Diario Gol report the Brazilian’s father has specifically advised his son to move to the Premier League giants.The Red Devils have held a long-term interest in the forward and have been heavily linked with a big money move for his services in the past.Jose Mourinho has previously played down reports of his side’s chances of landing the Brazilian, deeming his departure from Barcelona as ‘impossible.’Neymar is the Catalan giants’ third highest goal scorer in LaLiga, behind both Suarez and Messi, who have netted 28 and 35 goals respectively.
Celtic Supporters Club MeetingThe next meeting of the Letterkenny no.1 Celtic supporters club will take place this Thursday 31st July at 8pm in Station House Hotel, in Letterkenny.DD NOTICE: LETTERKENNY SUPPORTERS CLUB MEETING THIS THURSDAY AT THE STATION HOUSE HOTEL was last modified: July 29th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:celtic fcNoticesSportSupporters Meeting
(Visited 379 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0 A SETI leader thinks the label has outlived its usefulness and does not reflect what SETI scientists actually do.Jill Tarter, a 35-year leader of the Center for SETI Research (part of the SETI Institute), wants to ditch SETI – the name, at least. According to Space.com,At a recent meeting of the National Academy of Sciences’ Committee on Astrobiology Science Strategy for the Search for Life in the Universe, held here at the University of California, Irvine, Tarter explained that the phrase “search for extraterrestrial intelligence” generates an incorrect perception of what scientists in this field are actually doing. A more appropriate title for the field, she said, would be “the search for technosignatures,” or signs of technology created by intelligent alien civilizations.“We need to be very careful about our language,” Tarter said during a presentation at the committee meeting on Jan. 18. “SETI is not the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. We can’t define intelligence, and we sure as hell don’t know how to detect it remotely. [SETI] … is searching for evidence of someone else’s technology. We use technology as a proxy for intelligence.“[The acronym] ‘SETI’ has been problematic in history, and we should just drop [it] and just continue to talk about a search for technosignatures,” she said.As reported often here since 12/03/05, SETI is de facto intelligent design science. Its practitioners are to a large degree atheistic naturalists, believing that everything, including life and intelligence, emerged from a physical big bang. They are often adamant in their denunciations of creationism and intelligent design. And yet, curiously, their mission has depended on the ability to differentiate intelligent causes from natural causes, which is the core aim of intelligent design. Can they escape the conundrum by rebranding their work? What could cause a ‘technosignature’?Through a convoluted chain of reasoning, with detours into the mystical realm, Tarter tries to equate technology with nature:Science-fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke wrote that “any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic,” which would mean that alien technology could be as mysterious and unexplainable to humans as technologies that appear in science-fiction TV shows and movies. That opens up a dauntingly large range of possibilities for what technosignatures might look like. What if an alien civilization were communicating via a mechanism that Earth-based scientists haven’t discovered yet? Would humans immediately recognize these “magical” technosignatures, or would we not see them as unnatural?Tarter said she prefers to focus on a slight alteration of Clarke’s prediction written by the futurist Karl Schroeder: “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature.“If advanced civilizations have reached technological nirvana, she says, they will have no wastage and “appear natural” to us. She advocates, therefore, looking for civilizations that have “not yet reached that level of sophistication.” Insufficiently advanced technologies will be wasteful, like that of humans, she thinks. Maybe we could find fellowship at that level.“Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from nature.“Tarter, whose work inspired the main character in the movie Contact, says that old SETI looked for direct communication. New SETI tries to identify ‘technosignatures’ by eavesdropping on internal communications of aliens. One way to do it is to identify planets that appear to have modified their natural environments. An example she points to is the recent interest in a possible alien megastructure around Boyajian’s Star. Further investigation by the Breakthrough Listen project falsified those hopes, finding a natural explanation.So is there a difference between old SETI and new SETI? Basically, Tarter has encapsulated technology within nature, saying that it may look designed by intelligent beings because it is mysterious to us. But this explanation begins to unravel when you reflect these ideas back on herself. Is she intelligent? Did she uses intelligent causes, or natural causes, to propose the philosophical ideas in this article?The rebranding proposal is self-defeating. If alien technology that leaves technosignatures is not caused intentionally by intelligent minds, then our own human minds reduce to natural causes, and nothing we do has any purpose or direction. Technology just ’emerges’ magically. Stuff Happens.
Essential Reading! Get my first book: The Only Sale Guide You’ll Ever Need “The USA Today bestseller by the star sales speaker and author of The Sales Blog that reveals how all salespeople can attain huge sales success through strategies backed by extensive research and experience.” Buy Now It’s been a couple years since I updated my design here, and a lot of things have changed. So I asked my friends at Kinopicz American to help me take it apart and start from scratch. More about what I do. For a long time I used this blog as my main site while using another domain and site for my speaking, consulting, and coaching. I am consolidating everything here to make it easier to share what I do. This has always been my home base, and I am more convinced that this is the right strategy.Added menus. Not the menus you see across the top of the page. I added menus of my keynotes and workshops. I have a number of different keynote speeches and as many workshops. We created a page and a summary for each keynote and each workshop to provide some ideas about the outcomes you can expect from me as a speaker.Content up front. Even though the home page looks more like a home page, I didn’t want to move content to another page. I left the daily post as the primary piece of content on the home page because I believe that’s what belongs up front. This has served me well for a long time.Hard coded out comments. I’m not sure what changed with WordPress and Akismet, but for the last year my site was literally overrun with spam comments. I believe the more traffic your site generates, the more spam you attract. I moved to the Facbook plugin, but some spam still crept onto posts. You can still email me, comment on Facebook, or connect with me on any other social site.Bigger fonts and mobile responsive. I had no idea how many people read my blog on their smartphone or tablet. Sometimes that number is greater than 60%. Small fonts didn’t work for those readers, and I heard this from many of them. The pinching and zooming and scrolling back and forth didn’t work either. So this is site is now completely mobile responsive.
Senior BJP leader Prakash Javadekar exuded confidence on Monday that his party will win both the 2019 general election and the Odisha Assembly polls.The Union Minister for Human Resource Development, currently on a visit to the State, said the BJP is working to strengthen its base in Odisha.After arriving in Bhubaneswar on Sunday, Mr. Javadekar had made it clear that although the ruling Biju Janata Dal had supported the National Democratic Alliance government in the recent election for the post of Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman, there was no possibility of an alliance between it and the BJP.Reaching Berhampur late on Sunday night, Mr. Javadekar, who is party in charge in four Lok Sabha seats in the State, on Monday reviewed organisational activities at the booth level in Berhampur parliamentary constituency for the upcoming Lok Sabha and State Assembly polls. He held meetings with grassroots party workers here.“We are reviewing the party’s activities at the booth level, discussing with the party functionaries in each Assembly segment,” he said.Sources said Mr. Javadekar held separate meetings with BJP workers from seven Assembly segments under the Berhampur parliamentary constituency at a hotel here. No outsiders were allowed at these meetings. He reviewed the party organisation in Gopalpur, Chikiti, Mohana, Paralakhemundi and Berhampur segments.(With PTI inputs)
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Tottenham chairman Levy won’t consider Man Utd’s planned Pochettino offerby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveTottenham chairman Daniel Levy won’t consider Manchester United’s planned offer for Mauricio Pochettino.The Times says Ed Woodward has set his sights on the Spurs boss and is prepared to stump up £40million in compensation to take the Argentinian and his backroom staff to Old Trafford.But Levy has no intention in letting his manager leave so cheaply – and will demand far more than that before allowing United to strike a deal.United’s plan is to pay off the outstanding contract value of the five-year deal Pochettino signed with Spurs earlier this year.That cost would be around £34m, with a further £6m needed to release the remainder of his coaching staff from their agreements.But there is no actual release clause in Pochettino’s contract – and Levy believes that makes it impossible for Woodward and the Old Trafford board to just buy him out.