New Delhi: The CBI has now registered a case in connection with the killing of up to eight tribal people and the death of one police personnel in Chhattisgarh’s Bijapur district on May 7, 2013, during a combined operation by state police, CRPF, and CoBRA.While the Chhattisgarh government had formed a Special Investigative Team (SIT) to probe the incident, often referred to as the ‘Edesmeta massacre’, the Supreme Court had earlier this year directed the CBI to take over the case and conduct the investigation in an expeditious manner. Also Read – How a psychopath killer hid behind the mask of a devout laity!The Apex court had also directed that the CBI team probing the case should not have any officer from the state of Chhattisgarh. The Supreme Court had earlier heard a plea filed by Degree Prasad Chouhan, a government school teacher in Chhattisgarh, who had initially requested the formation of an SIT. The Bench of Justice L Nageswara Rao and Justice MR Shah also directed the State of Chhattisgarh to file an affidavit informing the court about the progress made by the SIT. Also Read – Encounter under way in Pulwama, militant killedPursuant to this order, the Additional Superintendent of Police in Bijapur filed an affidavit, saying that only five witnesses had been examined by the SIT, other than the ones examined by the investigating officer earlier. The court had said that it was not satisfied with the SIT’s progress since 2014 and entrusted the probe to the CBI. The incident refers to a shootout in Edesmeta village in Bijapur district, where a combing operation by state police, CRPF, and CoBRA allegedly led to an encounter with Maoists in the area. Then Additional Director General of Police in the area had reportedly said that eight villagers had died in cross-firing, some of whom were allegedly Naxals. The police personnel who lost his life in the incident was identified as Devprakash Singh, of the CoBRA battalion 208. Interestingly, the CBI’s FIR in the case does not mention the deaths of the villagers during this incident. It refers to the incident as one where “an attack on a police party which resulted in the death of one police personnel”.
CALGARY — Encana Corp. (TSX:ECA) says it will meet corporate production guidance this year despite losing an average of 3,500 barrels of oil equivalent per day in the third quarter from U.S. operations it suspended while hurricane Harvey rampaged through Texas.The Calgary-based oil and gas producer says the earlier-than-expected startup of a natural gas processing plant in B.C. this week will boost Canadian production enough to make up for the setbacks in Texas, as well as natural gas production lost due to recent third-party gas plant and pipeline outages in Western Canada.It says the new plant near the Alberta border in northeastern B.C. will allow its production of light oil produced with gas from the Montney underground formation to double in the fourth quarter of 2017 compared with the same period of last year.The plant wasn’t expected to come on stream until after the end of September. Encana plans to quickly fill the plant to capacity by drilling and completing wells in the area.Another Calgary producer, Baytex Energy Corp. (TSX:BTE), reports its third-quarter production will be down by about 2,500 barrels of oil equivalent per day due to its suspended operations in Texas during the storm which hit in late August.In both cases, the lost production amounts to one per cent or less of overall annual output.