Tag: 爱上海UQ

Boxing faces breakaway threat ahead of 2020 Tokyo Olympics

first_imgDon’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ Japeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for Ginebra Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award RJ Barrett leads No. 2 Duke past No. 3 Virginia Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college Philippine Army to acquire MANPADS, self-propelled howitzers LATEST STORIES AIBA published late Friday what it said was a sample letter organized by the breakaway group. The unsigned letter addressed to the IOC says “our group is ready to provide with the necessary technical expertise and sufficient financial conditions” to run the tournament, citing “the dire situation of the sport of boxing.”Relations between the IOC and AIBA are tense after Uzbekistan businessman Gafur Rakhimov was elected AIBA president in November, beating Kazakh candidate Serik Konakbayev.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissSPORTSCoronation night?SPORTSThirdy Ravena gets‍‍‍ offers from Asia, Australian ball clubsThe U.S. Treasury Department has alleged Rakhimov is a heroin trafficker linked to organized crime and placed him under sanctions. Rakhimov denies the allegations.AIBA risks being derecognized in June after an IOC inquiry panel reports. Until then, AIBA is banned from contacting 2020 Tokyo Olympic organizers. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Ginebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup title In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ View comments Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Will you be the first P16 Billion Powerball jackpot winner from the Philippines? Tom Brady most dominant player in AFC championship history Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption FILE – In this file photo dated Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018, the new president of the amateur boxing federation Gafur Rakhimov speaks to the media upon becoming the head of AIBA in Moscow, Russia. Amateur boxing faces a breakaway threat ahead of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo after its international federation elected Gafur Rakhimov as president.( AP Photo/Alexander Zemlianichenko, FILE)MOSCOW — Amateur boxing faces a breakaway threat ahead of the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo after its international federation elected a president accused of ties to organized crime.The federation, known as AIBA, says a “rogue group” led by unnamed “Kazakhstani individuals” has asked national boxing federations to write to the International Olympic Committee offering to help run an Olympic boxing tournament without AIBA.ADVERTISEMENT A person close to Kazakh boxing officials, speaking anonymously because they weren’t authorized to discuss the letter, told The Associated Press the copy published by AIBA was genuine. A leading figure at a national boxing federation, speaking anonymously because of possible retribution from AIBA leadership, said they had been approached to sign such a letter but had not done so. The IOC knows nothing about the plans, spokesman Mark Adams told the AP.AIBA said it had launched a taskforce to investigate and discipline people involved in circulating the letter, accusing them of “sabotaging AIBA’s position within the Olympic movement.”“AIBA assumes that the IOC has dismissed and distanced itself from any and all of these activities initiated by this group of individuals,” AIBA added. “The IOC has been contacted with regards to the letter, however, no response has been provided in return.”ADVERTISEMENTlast_img read more

Govt mulls external legal services

first_imgConstitutional Challenge…AG’s capacity to defend State cases questionedThe Guyana Government is yet to make a decision as to whether it would retain external legal services to represent its appeal in the constitutional challenge case that is currently before the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), because there continues to be much criticism over the performance of the Attorney General.Attorney General Basil WilliamsSpeaking with reporters on Wednesday, Attorney General Basil Williams explained that since Government has already retained two Queen’s Counsels from Barbados to represent its case in the challenge of the appointment of Justice James Patterson as Chairman of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM), it is possible that the services of the two legal practitioners may be extended to the constitutional challenge case – which, among other things, questions the term limit imposed on Guyanese presidents.“Well, as you know, I have two Barbadian QCs, and it’s quite possible that they could in fact (be retained)…they could be advisory, or they could also appear in the case. That’s the situation,” he stated.Asserting that no decision has as yet been taken, Williams added, “We have a lot of time. There hasn’t been a fixed date, there’s a tentative date.”This suggestion that external legal services may be used to represent Guyana has against raised questions about the capacity of the AG’s Chambers to represent state cases.One senior member of the judiciary, commenting on the possibility of the state using foreign counsels, said it is unfortunate that the Government would contemplate such a move when there are competent local lawyers that the Government can hire.The CCJ is expected to hold a case management conference on February 6, 2018, during which the dates will be set to hear the case, after the court would have consulted with attorneys on both sides in order to determine a date.Hearing is scheduled to begin at 10:00h in the Trinidad-based court, and will be done via audio-visual recording, according to information posted on the CCJ website.The decision to refer the case to the CCJ was presided over by acting Chancellor Yonette Cummings-Edwards, Appellate Judge Dawn Gregory, and High Court Judge Rishi Persaud.Back in 2014, private citizen Cedric Richardson had filed the challenge, arguing that Act 17 of 2001, which was passed by a two-thirds majority of the National Assembly, unconstitutionally curtailed and restricted his sovereign and democratic right and freedom as a qualified elector to elect a former President as the Executive President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana. Contending that the limit was unconstitutional and illegal, Richardson also wanted the court to determine whether the amendment with a referendum should not have been held, instead of the two-thirds majority in the National Assembly having the power to decide to limit the number of terms.The other restrictions were: to also declare unqualified to run for the presidency citizens of Guyana not resident in Guyana on Nomination Day; citizens of Guyana resident in Guyana on Nomination Day but who have not been continuously resident in Guyana for seven years prior to that date; and citizens of Guyana by registration.After several months in the court, former Chief Justice (ag) Ian Chang ruled in favour of Richardson’s argument, saying that the term limit on presidents is unconstitutional without the approval of the people through a referendum.However, the decision did not sit well with Attorney General Basil Williams and former Speaker of the National Assembly Raphael Trotman, both of whom were named respondents in the court action. They asked that the ruling be “wholly set aside”; but then Chancellor of the Judiciary (ag), Justice Carl Singh, also upheld the High Court’s decision, arguing in the Appeal Court ruling that a decision on the term-limit rested with the people via a referendum, and not the National Assembly. He had sought to impress the point that people should choose whom they “please to govern them,” and noted that this is essential to all other rights.During the February 2017 decision, Justice Singh was supported by Justice of Appeal BS Roy in upholding Justice Chang’s decision. Current Chief Justice (ag) Yonette Cummings-Edwards, who also sat on the panel, had given a dissenting judgement.Meanwhile, this move by Government to retain external legal services for yet another case comes on the heels of widespread criticisms of the performance of AG Williams. Since its assumption to office, Government, represented by the AG, has lost several cases at the level of the CCJ, and in the local courts to large companies, private citizens, and even Opposition members.At a press conference last week, Williams had brushed aside criticisms of his Chamber’s underperformance after several judgments were passed against them, leaving Government to pay out millions.It was reported that in 2017, some $100 million was included in the Legal Affairs Ministry’s Budget for the retention of six attorneys by the Government to prosecute a number of high profile cases.Government recently retained the services of Barbadian Queen’s Counsels Ralph Thorn and Hal Gallop in the ongoing GECOM case. In defending the decision, the AG pointed out that their appointments would serve to enrich the jurisprudence in the region.last_img read more

Mourinho praises Fellaini for toughing it out

first_img0Shares0000Manchester United’s Marouane Fellaini celebrates scoring the team’s second goal during their match against Crystal Palace in Manchester, north west England, on September 30, 2017 © AFP / PAUL ELLISMANCHESTER, United Kingdom, Sep 30 – Jose Mourinho described Marouane Fellaini as a “strong character” for overcoming his early troubles at Manchester United to establish himself as a key player at Old Trafford.Fellaini struggled to make a positive impression early in his United career after arriving from Everton for £27.5 million (31.2m euros, $36.8m) in 2013, with one British newspaper placing him among the 10 worst buys of the Premier League season at the end of his first year. Yet United manager Mourinho has made clear he sees Fellaini’s contribution as vital to the club’s progress, saying last month he felt his team was “weaker” without the midfielder in it.The Belgium international missed Wednesday’s 4-1 Champions League win away to CSKA Moscow with an ankle problem, but returned to score twice as United beat Crystal Palace 4-0 at Old Trafford in the Premier League.“I think only a strong character could resist the difficulties here,” said Mourinho.“He had some difficult times when people didn’t recognise his qualities, when other managers didn’t like so much the qualities he has.“He is a fighter, a guy with lots of pride and I am really pleased I helped him reach this level and change the perception the fans have now.”Mourinho suggested Fellaini was benefiting from his management more than he had done under his predecessors at Old Trafford.“All managers are different. Sometimes we like players that others don’t like,” said Mourinho.“Some players perform better with some of us than with others –- and I have examples of players that didn’t perform well for me and then performed well for other managers.– ‘We took blows to the chin’ –“I think Marouane has important qualities and I try to use them depending on the situation and what the team needs.Manchester United’s Romelu Lukaku (L) vies with Crystal Palace’s Bakary Sako during their match in Manchester, north west England, on September 30, 2017 © AFP / Paul ELLIS“He plays with me as a defensive midfielder, as a second striker, as one of two midfielders. He is a great player. A great character.”United are in a strong position in the Premier League going into the international break, with four wins out of four at home, but Mourinho is not getting carried away.“It is just four matches at home,” said Mourinho.“I know that in the same four matches at home last season we got eight points, not 12. We have four more points at home than last season.“We are playing well. I don’t say that we played well for 90 minutes because sometimes we have periods where we lose a bit our consistency, our intensity. But it is difficult to do that for 90 minutes.”Palace remain bottom of the Premier League, with no goals and no points after seven matches, with this defeat coming seven days after they were beaten 5-0 at Manchester City.Manager Roy Hodgson admitted he faces a tough fight to avoid relegation, but believes it can be done.“We have to accept we are a boxer fighting in a weight class we are not able to handle at this minute and we took blows to the chin and got knocked down,” said the former England manager.“But the lessons we are learning could stand us in very good stead. We are not going to have 38 games against Manchester City and Manchester United.“If we can stop the players doubting themselves too much, who knows, we may look back on this terrible spell and say it helped us build the character to stay in the league.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more