Category: rijprlpi

GDF to benefit from disaster response expertise of Mexican Army

first_imgWith an already strong defence cooperation programme with several bilateral partners, the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) is now set to benefit from the expertise of the Mexican Army in the area of disaster response and management.This was confirmed Wednesday when President David Granger met with Mexico’s Ambassador to Guyana, Ivan Robero Sierra Medel. The meeting was held at State House.The Ambassador said that the move to strengthen military-to-military relations between the two countries came out of discussions at the Caricom-Mexico Summit, which was held in Belize in October 2017. Upon the invitation of the Mexican Army, two GDF officers are to be identified to be part of a four-month training programme, which is scheduled to commence later this month at the National Defence College in Mexico City.The Mexican Army has over 50 years of experience and expertise, particularly in the area of disaster response, training from which the GDF can derive significant benefit.Ambassador Sierra Medel explained that in Mexico, the military has a comprehensive strategy consisting of six pillars to deal with natural disasters. These include: search and rescue, evacuation of at-risk communities, interaction with the population during a crisis, protection of families and securing communities, and these are the areas in which the two GDF officers will be trained.Expressing his appreciation to the Ambassador and the Mexican Government, President Granger said, “I see this as the start of a relationship that we will continue to build on and over time, we will be able to develop our own disaster response capabilities.”Minister of State, Joseph Harmon; GDF Chief-of-Staff, Brigadier Patrick West; acting Director General of the Civil Defence Commission, Colonel Kester Craig and several other senior officers of the Force were also present at the meeting.Guyana and Mexico established formal diplomatic ties on March 1, 1973. Since then, the two States have collaborated in a number of areas, particularly in the area of agriculture. Last year, Guyana exported 113 tonnes of paddy to Mexico. Additionally, eight Guyanese students received scholarships and were currently pursuing studies in various fields, including agriculture, water management, science (Master’s programme) and oil and gas. Mexico is also assisting Guyana with the resuscitation of its coconut industry.last_img read more

Attempted murder accused slapped with more charges

first_imgA 26-year-old woman, who is no stranger to the court, was on Friday further remanded to prison by Magistrate Leron Daly on two charges – assault and threatening language – when she appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.Lisa Bobb of Royal Drive, Campbellville, Georgetown, denied both charges.The court heard that on June 6, 2018, while being a prisoner at the East La Penitence Police Station, she unlawfully and maliciously wounded another female inmate, Cydella Blair.A second charge stated that on June 4, 2018, while being in custody at the said Police station, she used threatening language to Blair.Police Prosecutor Gordon Mansfield objected to bail being granted in this matter since the accused is incarcerated for an attempted murder among other charges that are pending.Magistrate Daly agreed with the prosecution and remanded the woman to prison.However, Blair was also charged with assaulting and using threatening language against Bobb.She pleaded not guilty to the charges and was released on $30,000 bail.The matter is expected to continue on June 11.Bobb was charged for wounding her cousin, Christel Bobb with intent to commit murder.The court heard that the Virtual Complainant, Christel Bobb, and Lisa Bobb are cousins who have reportedly had several misunderstandings in the past.On February 14, 2018, at Royal Drive, Campbellville, Christel had just returned home when she was allegedly pounced upon by Lisa, who dealt her a stab to her upper left arm. This attack reportedly stemmed from a misunderstanding the cousins had the previous night.Christel was rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital where she was admitted a patient. On her previous appearance in court, Lisa Bobb had been sent to be mentally evaluated.last_img read more

Leisure Pool offering free Aquafit class

first_imgFrom 10:30 – 11:30 a.m. the local pool is allowing anyone interested to hit the water and test out a variety of new aqua fitness exercises, designed to develop strength, cardio, flexibility all in one class.Those taking part will be trained by experienced instructors who will challenge and motivate participants during the hour long class.Saturday’s program is free to attend, and welcomes anyone looking to get a good workout to kick off 2013.- Advertisement –last_img

Events taking place Saturday

first_imgIt’s a busy day in the Energeticity.  For more community events visit energeticcity-beta.mystagingwebsite.com/events- Advertisement – Here is a list of events taking place this Saturday07:00 AM – 06:00 PM  Midget AA Tournament07:00 AM  Oilmen’s Bonspiel08:00 AM – 08:00 PM  2008 Municipal Election General Voting09:00 AM – 06:00 PM  Antique Show & Sale09:00 AM – 04:00 PM  Farmers Market09:00 AM  Sub Zero Group Run09:00 AM – 03:00 PM  Winter Bazaar10:00 AM – 03:00 PM  Dr. Kearney Christmas Craft Sale10:30 AM – 04:00 PM  1st Annual Community Science Celebration10:30 AM – 11:30 AM  Pre-School Storytime02:00 PM – 03:00 PM  Saturday Picture Book Club07:00 PM  Elves Christmas – Opening Night Reception Festival of Trees08:00 PM – 11:00 PM  Rob Szabo Western Canada CD Release ‘Party Life and Limb’08:30 PM  Senior Flyers vs FalherTBA  Walleyball Tournamentlast_img read more

San Dimas has hopes for an edge

first_imgSan Dimas High School boys basketball coach Bruce Robbins is hoping for a raucous crowd tonight when his Saints host Centennial of Corona in the second round of the CIF-Southern Section Division II-A playoffs. Based on the fact that the Saints are the only local boys team hosting a game tonight, he just might get it. To go any further, San Dimas (19-9) will have to get by a Centennial team that is 25-4 with several wins over local teams like Damien, Northview and Wilson. “They’re very athletic and they have a number of guys that can do a lot of things on offense,” Robbins said. “They’ll shoot 3s, they’re long, they’re quick and their defense is probably their best offense.” Robbins doesn’t think his team can win an up-and-down game, which is what tonight could turn into if the Saints can’t handle Centennial’s press. “It won’t be anything like (last) Friday night,” Robbins said referring to the half-court style of San Dimas’ first round win over San Luis Obispo. “They want to try and get out and run. We don’t have the kind of athletes that would allow us to start a track meet.” Bishop Amat’s girls team found out Saturday night just how tough the beefed-up Division I-AA playoffs will be. Amat didn’t have its typical cakewalk of a first-round game against El Modena, but the Lancers advanced with a 55-46 win. Another difficult foe awaits on Wednesday when Amat visits Royal of Simi Valley. “There’s no bad teams left, and I’m not sure there were any bad teams in it,” Amat coach Richard Wiard said. “We’re talking about the round of 16 and we’re playing a team that’s got 22 wins.” Royal, with its sharpshooters, should be quite a test for Amat. The Highlanders entered the postseason as the third-place team out of the Marmonte League, but that’s only because of a coin flip to separate three teams tied for first place. The Highlanders can shoot it, as evidenced by 181 3-pointers this season. Amat will have an advantage, though, with reigning Tribune Player of the Year Candice Brown being the biggest player on the court. But Amat’s size edge didn’t exactly lead to a good performance in Saturday’s first round. That’s something Wiard said must be corrected. “We weren’t very good on defense, and more importantly, on offense, we were very impatient and didn’t execute,” Wiard said. “Part of it was Candice being in foul trouble.” Amat hasn’t lost since Dec. 29 and is on a 15-game winning streak. aram.tolegian@sgvn.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2233 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!center_img “Having a great home crowd, it’s an advantage,” Robbins said at Monday’s practice. “We need a great crowd. We need something that’s going to help us keep our intensity. Anytime you can get a big, boisterous crowd in there, that just helps.” Valle Vista League mates San Dimas and Northview are all that’s left of the local boys basketball contingent. The Vikings are on the road tonight at Ocean View of Huntington Beach. last_img read more

Residents battling fireworks approval

first_img“I understand the concerns, but to me this is a balancing situation,” said Councilman Joe Vinatieri. “You’re looking at the potential of injury or fire versus the other side of it – the celebration of the Fourth of July,” Vinatieri said. “We’re also going to have money because of the sale of fireworks to go and do special enforcement against illegal fireworks.” Former Mayor Janet Henke, who was one of the residents making the plea to the council, said she still has hope. “The council might listen and say, `This is a mistake. Perhaps we should reconsider,”‘ Henke said. Henke said she is concerned because of past fires in the hills. In addition, Whittier is the only city bordering the Puente Hills area that would allow fireworks. They are banned in Brea, Chino Hills, La Habra Heights and Yorba Linda, she added. mike.sprague@sgvn.com (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3022160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Their petition presented eight arguments, including concerns about fire in the dry hills, fireworks being dangerous and their fear that the use of illegal fireworks will intensify. “We’re talking about shooting off fireworks in the summertime in record drought conditions and a community with hills that are covered with dry brush,” said Diane Britton. “Does that make sense?” But so far, it doesn’t appear as if the group is having any luck in persuading the four council members who voted in favor of legalization to change. Councilman Owen Newcomer cast the only no vote. No one at Tuesday’s meeting made a motion to put a new vote on an upcoming agenda. In interviews Friday, at least two of the four who voted for legalization said they don’t plan to change their minds. WHITTIER – A group of residents has launched a campaign to persuade City Council members to rescind their recent action that legalized safe-and-sane fireworks in the city for the first time in 20 years. The residents’ effort is coming more than two weeks after the council approved an ordinance legalizing the sale and use of fireworks here. “We’re not giving in,” said Julia Rittershausen Beers. “We found out about it too late, but as a citizen of the United States of America, we have a chance to go tell our city manager and city council. They have the right to reconsider and revote.” Beers was one of 21 people who went to last week’s council meeting during the oral communications period, asking the council to change its mind. They presented petitions with 600 signatures. last_img

Around Whittier

first_imgLA HABRA – An officer and a civilian sustained minor injuries from bullet fragments during a weekend scuffle where another officer fired a shot. The man, identified as 22-year-old Alvaro Ramiro Ceja, was arrested on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon on a peace officer and resisting an officer, according to a press release issued by La Habra Police. Ceja was being held at La Habra jail in lieu of $50,000 bail. The incident happened early Sunday when an officer found Ceja lying on the sidewalk at 701 N. Harbor Blvd. Police said Ceja was uncooperative and other officers arrived to assist. “An altercation ensued during which a second officer fired a single shot from his sidearm,” according to the release. Bullet fragments hit Ceja and a third officer. The two men were treated at local hospitals. The department didn’t identify the officers involved, citing the ongoing investigation. Per department policy, the Orange County District Attorney’s Office is conducting an investigation into the officer-involved shooting. Lecture scheduled on osteoporosis WHITTIER – Whittier’s Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital will hold a free lecture called, “Osteoporosis: Are you at Risk?” from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. May 15 in the Flo & Frank L. Scott Conference Center at the hospital, 12401 Washington Blvd. Osteoporosis is a bone-thinning disease that affects millions of Americans, but early detection can lead to effective treatment. Space is limited. For more information or reservations, call (562) 698-0811, Ext. 2444. Seniors’ group to hold dance SANTA FE SPRINGS – The Good Neighbors Senior Club will hold its “Mother’s Coronation Dance” on Mother’s Day from 4:30 to 8 p.m. Sunday at 9255 Pioneer Blvd. Music will be performed by the band “Los Kory’s.” For further information, call Ophelia Juarez at (562) 926-4344. Tai Chi class to meet Tuesdays WHITTIER – Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital will offer a six-week class called “Tai Chi for Health” which will meet from 9 to 10 a.m. Tuesdays beginning May 19 in the Flo & Frank L. Scott Conference Center of the hospital, 12401 Washington Blvd. Tai Chi is a martial, meditative healing art that can help clear the mind, reduce stress, increase concentration and improve immune functioning. Reservations are required. For more information or to make reservations, call Romina Yepiz at (562) 698-0811, Ext. 2847. School presents one-act play WHITTIER – The Richard L. Graves Middle School Drama Club will present their 15th annual Renaissance Festival and one-act play, “Shakespeare and his Women,” at 6 p.m. May 16 and 17, 13243 East Los Nietos Road. The festival will include food, drinks, crafts for sale, games and more. The play begins at 6 p.m. For more information, call Joella Holbrook at (562) 944-0135, Ext. 317. College offering English classes CERRITOS – Cerritos College is offering six-week English as a Second Language (ESL) classes during the summer with both day and evening schedules available beginning Monday, May 21, 11110 Alondra Blvd. For more information, contact Joann Sugihara-Cheetham at (562) 860-2451. – From staff reports160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Liverpool to make late move for PSG star after Napoli drop interest?

first_imgNapoli have ruled themselves out of a late swoop for Liverpool target Ezequiel Lavezzi.The Argentina international is expected to leave Paris Saint-Germain this month after reportedly falling out of favour with manager Laurent Blanc.Several clubs from across Europe have shown an interest in the 29-year-old, including Liverpool.However, one club who won’t be making a move for the winger is his former club Napoli, after their sporting director Riccardo Bigon admitted the club has enough attacking talent.“Though we love the player and his qualities, we are well stocked in the attacking department, both in terms of quantity and quality,” Bigon told Sky Italia.??”Lavezzi is not a necessity for us.” 1 Liverpool target Ezequiel Lavezzi last_img read more

SOCCER: GLENREE U-14 GIRLS MAKE IMPRESSIVE START TO NEW SEASON

first_imgSunday evening last saw Glenree u14 girls play their first game of the season with a match against Donegal Town in the National Umbro Cup.Both teams looked equally impressive with some excellent passages of footbalk but it was Glenree who put the first score on the board with a goal from Emer Sweeney.Second half showed the determination of both these teams with a 2-2 result at the whistle, with Glenree’s second goal coming from Laura Dugera. Extra time saw Glenree take the lead again with another great goal from Caoimhne Heron, leaving the final score 3-2 in favour of the Glenree girls.Congratulations to all the girls who played excellently on the team in particular to our goalkeeper who made a number of great saves during the match.Thanks to the Donegal Town team who were such great opponents on the day.Thanks to all the people who came to support the Glenree team on the day. Finally many thanks to our coach Cathal for his continued hard work and dedication to the team. SOCCER: GLENREE U-14 GIRLS MAKE IMPRESSIVE START TO NEW SEASON was last modified: May 6th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Glenree U14 girlsNational Umbro Cuplast_img read more

Neymar reaches agreement with PSG to make Barcelona return – reports

first_img Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti Neymar completed a world record move to PSG in August 2017 Neymar’s status as PSG’s main man is eroding 2 RANKED LATEST Top nine Premier League free transfers of the decade REVEALED Mbappe, 19, is set to become the main man at the Parc des Princes and it is thought this is one of the big reasons behind Neymar’s desired departure. Barcelona can re-sign Neymar for £193million at the end of the season, according to reports.The Brazilian, 26, has reached with an agreement with Paris Saint-Germain about a possible return to the Nou Camp, according to Spanish media. Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ IN DEMAND center_img Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father Latest Transfer News targets The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star LIVING THE DREAM moving on 2 This comes just over a year after Neymar swapped Catalonia for the French capital in a world-record £198m move.It was reported Neymar was sounding Barca out about a possible return and Cadena SER claims the forward has come to an agreement with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi that will see him leave next summer.He scored a bucket load of goals for the Ligue 1 champions last season and has started the 2018/19 campaign in similar form – scoring eleven goals in as many games.However, Neymar’s form has been overshadowed by French World Cup star Kylian Mbappe, who has ten goals in seven appearances for PSG. Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland targets Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summerlast_img read more